High Gas Prices; Does It Matter?

High Gas Prices are an immediate discussion when someone comes to the car lot. The first thing most say is "I bet you are making GREAT Deals on SUV's." Or, "I bet you can't give those Yukon's away." My response is always the same, "They are actually our best seller right now!" It is the truth, but I love to see the expression on peoples faces when I say this. When the fact is, they are also looking at the large SUV and hoping I would say we could not give them away.

That was VERY strange! As I am typing this article, I hear the news say GM is laying 3500 workers off due to low sells of Large Trucks and SUV's! I work at a GM lot and SUV's are selling better than ever at my dealership. Gas prices at this time in my area are around $3.45 for regular unleaded, but this seems to be an afterthought for customers. Most feel if they are going to pay these types of gas prices, they are going to ride in comfort. So much for my thought that this was the case across the country after hearing of the GM Layoffs.

Now that I told you what my customers are buying, let me tell you what I think of the high gas prices. I think it is a bunch of BS!!! Is there anything we can do to lower our fuel costs? There actually are a few things you can do to save BIG.

3 QUICK TIPS TO GET BETTER GAS MILEAGE FROM YOUR CAR, TRUCK, OR SUV!
1) I recently changed my air filter and I have seen at least a 10% improvement in gas mileage. I am going to change the fuel filter as well and I know this will also help. A fuel injection service would also be a good idea to improve fuel mileage. So tip #1 is to have your car, truck, or SUV serviced. This includes checking your tires and alignment to make sure your vehicle is steering and traveling with as little friction as possible.

2) Set your cruise on a lower speed than normal. I know this is hard for many, but if you usually go 75 on the highway, set your cruise on 70. You will see a HUGE difference in fuel economy. If you have a MPG instrument economy, check it out and you will see. This is the gauge that tells what fuel mileage you are getting at any given time and goes up and down. It stays higher when you set the cruise on a lower speed because the engine is running at a more steady pace.

3) This is a tip than can be argued, but I have checked it and it works. Keep your car clean and put a good coat of wax. This reduces friction from the air traveling over your vehicle and will improve fuel economy. Don't question me, check it for yourself. It may not be but 1 mpg better, but it will be better. Also, keep your window rolled up or your truck bed closed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive