Mannheim -- the birth of the automobile industry






After landing at Frankfurt on May 8, I took a fast train to Mannheim, where the automobile was born. Incidentally, I have some origins there as well, since my mother came from Mannheim. Prior to the family's move to Mittlestrasse, her family had lived in a village within walking distance of the city going back to about 1650. My first task after getting into my hotel was to go to the Museum of Technik and Arbeit (technology and work), an excellent museum although seemingly under used and a bit ill kept. It was a further walk than I anticipated, and while the many, many exhibits on technology and industry in Baden-Wurttenburg were of value, I gravitated to the section on the automobile. I might add that while walking there I found a huge stone marker erected in honor of Benz.

If there is value in the museum it is in the material and exhibit on Felix Wankel, the inventor of the rotary engine that is still used in Mazda 8s despite their thirst for fuel. Two of his NSU vehicles with that engine were on display. The process of invention of the Wankel Rotary design is described at the Museum. Additionally there is a replica of Benz's 1886 three-wheel vehicle (how many are there over the face of the earth?). What I found of interest was an exhibit on the body fabrication of a 1989 Porsche 911 targa with automated welding equipment. Some photos are inclosed and more commentary may follow.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive