Happy Friday

"Strange was the only dog I’ve ever known who could belch at will. It was his idea of high comedy. If my mother had some of her friends over for a game of pinochle, Strange would slip into the house and slouch over to the ladies. Then he would emit a loud belch. Apparently, he mistook shudders of revulsion for a form of applause, because he would sit there on his haunches, grinning modestly up at the group and preparing an encore. “Stop, stop!” he would snarl, as I dragged him back outdoors. “They love me! They’ll die laughing at my other routine! It’ll have them on the floor!” I will not speak here of his other routine.

"In general appearance, Strange could easily have been mistaken for your average brown-and-white mongrel with floppy ears and a shaggy tail, except that depravity was written all over him. He looked as if he sold dirty postcards to support an opium habit."

---Patrick F. McManus, "Skunk Dog"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive